Thursday, January 3, 2008

Nic Bishop Frogs

How often does someone with a PhD write an interesting and attractive book for kids? I haven't found many, and this one, frankly, was fantastic. The photos are incredible (Nic Bishop is also an outstanding photographer and raised many of the frogs pictured in the book) and the text is informative and interesting. I learned a lot about frogs and enjoyed myself. When I showed the kids the book, there were instant requests to check it out.
A few months ago, Mr. Bishop published Nic Bishop Spiders, which is also good, but if you are squeamish about spiders, be warned! You'll see every eye or even hair on the spider, and you'll see a dragonfly becoming lunch, among other spectacular and detailed photos. (Many of the kids think these are fantastic details, of course, and we nearly had a fistfight over the book this morning. Yikes!)

3 comments:

lw said...

I love your reviews! It's nice, also to get instant feedback from children. We mostly never know if kids like books, unless they are looking for a sequel to the series.
I am on hold for two Nic Bishop books, but ours haven't come in yet. Thanks for the warning about the spider. I loathe 'em. I'll take snakes anyday.

lw said...

I accidentally saw the Spiders book when someone else had it at the desk. It scored very high marks on my Vomitron. CREEPY!

Ann Summerville said...

Cute cover.
Ann