Thursday, January 3, 2008

Dragonhaven by Robin McKinley

I have read and enjoyed many of Robin McKinley's books (in fact, I've lost count of how many times I've read The Hero and the Crown), so I was excited to start this one. Unfortunately, I have to admit that if I hadn't read any of her other books, I would have given up after about 40 pages. The beginning is very slow (and the word "like" is used way too often and in all the wrong places. I've NEVER heard a kid talk this way!) The plot is an interesting one, though. 14-year-old Jake goes alone on an overnight stay in the dragon preserve his father runs and finds a dying dragon mother and a soon-to-be-orphaned newborn dragon. He takes the baby to try to keep it alive, but apparently saving the life of a dragon is a serious federal crime. So Jake has a serious dilemma: he can't let the dragon die, but he has to make sure that no one finds out what he is up to. But it took 50 or 60 pages before Jake even meets the dragons, so I wonder how many people even make it through to the fascinating and intricate main plot?. I'm not sure if any of my 5th or 6th graders would be interested in the book. Any comments or suggestions?

No comments: